When you’re looking to either replace or fix the roof on your home, there’s a lot more involved than just choosing the right texture of shingles. Perhaps you’re looking into replacing your roof with a steel construction. A roofing system is a big project and if you want the best steel roofing prices and quality, it’s best to rely on a local Rochester, NY contractor that knows what they’re doing. Here are some tips on choosing the right roofing material for your budget and time.
The Need to Know
There are a few things to consider before you dive into selecting your materials. You’ll need to consider your roof structure and contents. In order to do this efficiently, inspect your roof’s overall structure. By doing this, you’ll notice 5 elements that make up your roof:
- Drainage - What’s your drainage system look like? The layout, slope, and shape play roles in draining water from the roof.
- Covering - What does your roof covering consist of now, and are you repeating the same style? Your roof coverings are the shingles, slate, metal, and underlayment that shield from the weather.
- Sheathing - This material fastens to the rafters that cover your home. It may consist of sheets or boards.
- Flashing - To prevent water seepage, a sheet metal material is installed in the roof system.
- Structure - The sheathing is supported by the trusses and rafters
After you’ve inspected the condition of these 5 elements, you and the experts at Northside Company in Rochester, NY can work within your budget to find the right materials. Perhaps you know very little of the types of roofs on the market. Cost may be your determining factor when choosing a roof system, but durability should take precedence as well. Each season brings its own weather-related wear-and-tear, from sun-scorched heat to sheets of ice. Keeping this in mind will help you choose your roofing type.
You’ll need to consider the climate and its impact on your roof as well. Asphalt shingles are durable and popular for steep-slope roofs and come in organic or fiberglass. Clay or concrete shingles are considered durable because of its heavy form. You’ll find these in many colors and styles. Metal are aesthetically pleasing and are considered one of the more durable roofing choices, especially in the changing seasons. Slate is also a popular roofing type that is considered to be indestructible. It is available in a variety of shapes and colors and will require the assistance of a professional contractor in your area.
If you’re in the process of deciding what materials to choose for your upcoming roofing project, the professionals at Northside can help. Contact us today to schedule your appointment with one of our roofing professionals.